tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jesse Barnum <jsb_tom...@360works.com>
Subject Why is context.xml no longer copied to Catalina/localhost/myapp.xml?
Date Sun, 05 May 2013 15:56:36 GMT
I thought that the purpose of having <Parameter> elements in the context.xml file was
so that end users and server administrators could easily customize the application behavior
of a deployed application.

If that's true, then why is the context.xml file no longer extracted in Tomcat 7? Leaving
it in the application directory means that it's going to be overwritten (losing those customizations)
every time the server admin redeploys my application, right? Doesn't that seem like a bad
idea? Am I missing something?

I know that I write a set of instructions for my customers to modify their server.xml and
add the copyXML attribute to revert back to Tomcat 6 behavior, but why? Why not leave the
default behavior the way it was before, so that context.xml files can be customized separately
from the deployed application? I couldn't find any bug report / RFE in the Tomcat bug database
explaining why this change was necessary or beneficial.

--Jesse Barnum, President, 360Works
http://www.360works.com