tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Apache Tomcat service has been shutting down/stopping randomly.
Date Sat, 18 May 2013 16:20:28 GMT
> From: James Snider [mailto:James.Snider@hbcs.org]
> Subject: RE: Apache Tomcat service has been shutting down/stopping randomly.

> We then moved back the "Commons" directory and "Shared" directory.

> Here is a list of the .jar files contained in the common directory
> we copied back:

That's a fatal error - don't ever, ever copy jar files from an older version of Tomcat into
a newer one.

I doubt that you will be able to straighten out the mess you created with this.  You should
really uninstall all versions of Tomcat, manually remove any remnants of the old one (including
log files), and install the current version from scratch, not playing the renaming games.
 If you have to update your webapps first to remove the hard-coded silliness, do that before
trying to move up.

Once Tomcat is properly installed, then update the conf/*.xml files as needed (do not copy
over old versions), and install your webapps.  You've created a maintenance nightmare with
your current situation.

 - Chuck