tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen.d.blagoje...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: redirect request from 8080 to port 80
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 12:47:05 GMT
Anil,

On 15.5.2013 13:42, Anil Goyal -X (anigoyal - Aricent Technologies at
Cisco) wrote:
> We are using tomcat version 7.0.25 and in server.xml, we have two connector port defined:80
(http)and 443(https).
> In /etc/sysconfig/iptables, we have redirect logic written that will redirect the request
coming at port 8080 to port 80, and request coming at port 8443 to 443.
> -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 443
> -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 80

Your configuration is a bit unusual. You have Tomcat running on port 80,
but you add prerouting rule to iptables, so that Tomcat will also
respond to port 8080, right? Would you explain what is your motivation
for such configuration?

> Now when I hit the url 'http://request-uri:8080/context, then I am getting the desire
response. I have below query:

> 1.       Will the request firstly go to iptables before tomcat ?

Yes.

> 2.       If request firstly go to iptable then it check that 8080 is redirect to port
80 then url change to 'http://request-uri:80/context' and it then land to tomcat and tomcat
respond to it. Now in tomcat access logs, the requesting port corresponding to this request
is 8080. So why it is 8080 in tomcat access logs.? Please revert on this. I think because
iptables redirect 8080 to 80 so tomcat receives the request at port 80 so in tomcat access
logs, requestiong port should be 80.

Iptables will not change the URL. Iptables merely redirects all packets