tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: maxIdleTime + Tomcat 6.0.23
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 19:30:51 GMT
On 10/05/2013 20:13, Jose MarĂ­a Zaragoza wrote:
> Hello:
>

> I'm using Tomcat 6.0.23 and I'm looking info about threads created by
> Tomcat HTTP Connector for processing requests.
>
> I've seen that
>
> - I cannot define a minSpareThread in Connector , in server.xml . And
> default value is 0
> I have to create a Executor to be able to define a minSpareThread
>
> am I right ?

Yes.

> why ?

Generally, leaving threads idle isn't very expensive. Creating and
destroying threads is expensive. Also, not using an executor allows for
simpler, faster code.

Because the general case by its very nature won't be perfect for
everybody, there are advanced options but that requires an Executor to
implement the more complex thread management that most users don't need.

> - There isn't a property like maxIdleTime in Connector , so idle threads
> remain forever
> Why isn's there a default value ?

There is no property so there can't be a default value.

> Again , I have to create a Executor to be able to define a maxIdleTime
>
> am I right ?

Yes.

> why ?

See above.