tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Possible false-postive with JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener and Tomcat's JDBC Pool
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 15:20:05 GMT

On 5/7/13 6:43 AM, Michael-O wrote:
>> Von: "Mark Thomas" <> On 07/05/2013 10:25,
>>> The driver is in the $CATALINA_HOME/lib only where
>>> $CATALINA_BASE != $CATALINA_HOME. This was done for a single
>>> webapp for testing purposes.
>>> Does this make a difference?
>> The important thing is that it isn't in WEB-INF/lib.
>>> How do you know that this is not a false-positive?
>> Experience, a lot of research into memory leaks and I wrote
>> Tomcat's memory leak detection code.
>>> If you really know for sure, I can open a service request with
>>> Oracle Support.
>> Good luck with that.
>> The problem is that when the driver creates the thread it does so
>> when the current class loader is the web application class
>> loader. That means that the Thread will be created with a context
>> class loader set to the web application class loader. That will
>> trigger a memory leak when the web application is stopped because
>> a reference is retained to the web application's class loader.
>> What the driver should do is, after it creates the thread, set
>> the thread's context class loader to the class loader that loaded
>> the driver.
>> What you are seeing is a variation of the leak described on page
>> 15 of [1].
> After reading the slides and your explanation this makes sense.
> It's the same issue as "Pool cleaner thread should be created using
> the classloader that loaded the pool, not the context loader
> (fhanik)" fixed in 7.0.27.
> I will file SR and let you know.

Note that you might be able to write your own code to mitigate this
problem, depending on exactly when that thread is created. If the
timeout thread isn't created until you actually try to issue a query
with a timeout, try something like this in a ServletContextListener's
contextInitialized method:

    // NOTE: No resource management is being done in this example

    // Get the current ClassLoader -- should be WebappClassLoader
    ClassLoader cl = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader();

    // WebappClassLoader.getParent should be "common" loader

      Connection conn = ...; // However you get a connection
      Statement s = conn.createStatement();
      s.setQueryTimeout(5000); // Doesn't really matter what TO is
      s.execute("SELECT 1 FROM dual", );
      // Pop back to the original ClassLoader

This is the exact technique that Tomcat's
JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener uses to prevent ClassLoader leaks. A
couple of notes:

1. This won't work under a SecurityManager. If you need to operate
under a SecurityManager, have a look at the
JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener code and adapt it to the above.

2. If the Oracle driver launches the thread when the DataSource is
created, it might happen too early for a ServletContextListener to
intervene. In that case, simply modify the
JreMEmoryLeakPreventionListener code directly. Patches are always welcome.

3. If Oracle fixes this bug, Tomcat should not prevent against it. If
Oracle refuses to acknowledge/fix/etc. this bug, then it may make
sense to include such code in JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener, but it
should probably be done in such a way that a) it's not enabled by
default and b) the query used for triggering the Thread to be created
is user-selectable with maybe a reasonable default (like "SELECT 1
FROM dual", as that tends to be valid in most RDBMSs).

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -