tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible false-postive with JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener and Tomcat's JDBC Pool
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 08:35:01 GMT
On 07/05/2013 09:16, Michael-O wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I recently enabled a QueryTimeoutInterceptor with queryTimeout of 60 seconds in a JDBC
Pool data source (7.0.37). When the app was shut down, Tomcat said: "The web application [/...]
appears to have started a thread named [OracleTimeoutPollingThread] but has failed to stop
it..."

> We are using Oracle 11.2g with 11.2.0.3 JDBC drivers. I have figured out that this thread
is spawned by the driver itself. According to this Stackoverflow answer [1] this is a long-living
thread, same says the JDBC FAQ [2] of Oracle.

> The thread seems to work like Pool's PoolCleaner thread. A few month a ago I reported
the same issue with the PoolCleaner thread and Filip fixed the class loader orders.

> Can this be a false-positive by the memory leak detector since this thread lives only
once in the entire VM?

No. It is a memory leak and either or bug in your application or in the
JDBC driver.

Where is the Oracle JDBC driver? CATALINA_[BASE|HOME]/lib or WEB-INF/lib

Mark