tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why is context.xml no longer copied to Catalina/localhost/myapp.xml?
Date Mon, 06 May 2013 21:00:36 GMT
On 06/05/2013 21:35, Jesse Barnum wrote:
> On May 6, 2013, at 1:55 PM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Right now, probably not.
>>
>> There are a couple of issues in this area (the thread I referenced,
>> unpacking WARs outside the appBase into the appBase, lack of clarity on
>> exactly what the expected behaviour in any given scenario) that I am
>> actively working on. My rough plan is:
>> - document what I think should happen (as simply as possible - this is
>> proving to be the hard part as there are so many variables)
>> - present this to the community for discussion / feedback
>> - implement it for 8.0.x
>> - probably back-port it to 7.0.x
>>
>> For you particular scenario I am considering allowing per Context
>> override of copyXML that would enable your app to work as you want in a
>> default Tomcat 7 install. Every new option, however adds to the overall
>> complexity so I am still working through this.
>>
>> Watch this space.
>>
>> Mark
>

> Make sense - thanks Mark.
>
> I am sure that this would be out of scope, but if we pictured an ideal scenario, it seems
like there would be one configuration file that is tightly managed by the developer, which
is replaced when the app is redeployed, and a different configuration file that is intended
for end user customization, which is stored separately.

The way to do that is to keep copyXML=false, parameterise [1] the
META-INF/context.xml and then specify the necessary parameter values in
catalina.properties.

That way the developer is free to manage META-INF/context.xml but any
updates won't change the parameterised values.

If the app doesn't fail to start if the parameters are set, it should be
easy to add a ServletContextListener to make sure that it does.

Mark

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/index.html (2nd para)