tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Zachery <fang...@me.com>
Subject Re: Apache tomcat server win8 cannot be accessed outside of local host
Date Sat, 04 May 2013 12:21:33 GMT

Regards,
Zachery

On 4 May, 2013, at 20:10, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Zachery wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I have installed the apache-tomcat server on my local win8. The port I specified
is 9999.
>> Additionally, I use the distributed binary version of apache tomcat. Not installing
as a windows service.
>> I can access my service by |http://localhost:9999| and |http://myIPAddress:9999|
>> But I cannot access my apache server from other computers. I searched on the internet,
and found I should add a firewall inbound rule in its advanced settings.
>>   1. Right click "Inbound Rules" on the left pane
>>   2. Choose "New Rule"
>>   3. Choose "Port" "TCP"
>>   4. Under "Specific ports" enter your port number (9999)
>>   5. Continue with "Next" until the end of the wizard, naming the rule when asked.
>> After doing this, it still doesn't work!!
>> I even tried to set the ports at step 4 to be "any". Still doesn't work!
>> I have checked with "netstat -na" to see that: |TCP 0.0.0.0:9999 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING|
>> Then only method I find by far is *turning off my windows firewall*! But this is
not preferred since the potential security risk.

> Well, IF you turn off the Windows Firewall (just for a moment, just for testing), does
it work ?
Yes!
This works! I can access my apache server from other machines!

But this is not a good way since outing my machine at risk of security attack!
>> Some online post refers to httpd.conf file. But my apache-tomcat have no such kind
of fire.
>> Could someone give me some hints?
>> EDIT:
>> There are three places related to port number setting in the |/conf/server.xml| file.
>> |<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">|
>> |<Connector port="9999" protocol="HTTP/1.1" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"
/>|// *I change the 8080 to 9999 for my own use.*