tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jaroslav Fikker <fik...@atlas.cz>
Subject Re: Tomcat Unix daemon (jsvc) - problem with compilation
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 14:18:51 GMT
Hi Kenneth,

Thank you very much for your mail. We use own script for start Tomcat server with -classpath
parameter that contains directory path /opt/tomcat/lib. We need to use all JAR files from
this directory but Tomcat ignore this syntax (notwithstanding previous version runs correctly)
and it "understand" only exact JAR definition, for example -classpath /opt/tomcat/lib/tomcat-api.jar,/opt/tomcat/lib/tomcat-api.jar,/opt/tomcat/lib/tomcat-util.jar,...
Where could be a cause of this problem? Why this version of Tomcat ignore string -classpath
/opt/tomcat/lib?

J. Fikker

Hi Jaroslav,

I have compiled the JSVC daemon on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 (x64) on

the IBM JDK, like you are trying to do.
I would suggest that if your make of jsvc was successful. It would be

beneficial to see the error that your jsvc command is throwing. The daemon does

rely on some extra Java resources that should be loaded via the -classpath

argument. When starting Tomcat with JSVC, are you directing JSVC to load its

class files?
Here is one of my working configurations:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS

"-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager"

"-Djava.util.logging.config.file="/etc/tomcat6/logging.properties" TOMCAT_MIN_HEAP=2048m #use
a minimum heap of 2GB TOMCAT_MAX_HEAP=3072m #use a maximum heap of 3GB CATALINA_OPTS="${DEBUG_OPTS}
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xms$TOMCAT_MIN_HEAP

-Xmx$TOMCAT_MAX_HEAP" TOMCAT_USER=tomcat CLASSPATH=/usr/lib64/jvm/java/lib/tools.jar:/usr/share/java/commons-logging-api.jar:$CATALINA_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:/usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:$CATALINA_HOME/bin/bootstrap.jar

/sbin/startproc $JSVC_BIN \ -user $TOMCAT_USER \ -jvm $JSVC_JVM \ -home $JAVA_HOME \ -pidfile
$JSVC_PID \ -outfile $CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out \ -errfile $CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out
 \ $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \ -classpath $CLASSPATH \ -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
\ -Djava.util.logging.config.file=$CATALINA_BASE/conf/logging.properties

\ -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_BASE \ -Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE \ -Djava.io.tmpdir=$CATALINA_BASE/temp
\ org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap "$@" start