tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: Why is context.xml no longer copied to Catalina/localhost/myapp.xml?
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 13:40:49 GMT
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 04:35:19PM -0400, Jesse Barnum wrote:
> I am sure that this would be out of scope, but if we pictured an ideal scenario, it seems
like there would be one configuration file that is tightly managed by the developer, which
is replaced when the app is redeployed, and a different configuration file that is intended
for end user customization, which is stored separately.

Well, the developer can simply pack into the app. whatever internal
configuration is needed, since he has ready access to the interior of
the app and can deposit on the classpath *.properties, *.xml, or
anything else he wants.  He can have no certain knowledge of the app's
runtime environment and should not assume, only specify requirements,
and provide sensible defaults when there are some.

The deployer, OTOH, has ready access to the app's environment,
including its Context, but should not be assumed to have such access
to the interior of the app.

So this division of labor depends on the developer's discipline in
distinguishing internal vs. external configuration and coding the
app. to look in the proper place for each.  I don't see a good way for
the container to make up for incorrect design in this area.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

View raw message