tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Zachery <>
Subject Apache tomcat server win8 cannot be accessed outside of local host
Date Sat, 04 May 2013 11:53:26 GMT
Dear all,

I have installed the apache-tomcat server on my local win8. The port I specified is 9999.

Additionally, I use the distributed binary version of apache tomcat. Not installing as a windows

I can access my service by http://localhost:9999 and http://myIPAddress:9999

But I cannot access my apache server from other computers. I searched on the internet, and
found I should add a firewall inbound rule in its advanced settings.

Right click "Inbound Rules" on the left pane
Choose "New Rule"
Choose "Port" "TCP"
Under "Specific ports" enter your port number (9999)
Continue with "Next" until the end of the wizard, naming the rule when asked.
After doing this, it still doesn't work!!

I even tried to set the ports at step 4 to be "any". Still doesn't work!

I have checked with "netstat -na" to see that: TCP LISTENING

Then only method I find by far is turning off my windows firewall! But this is not preferred
since the potential security risk.

Some online post refers to httpd.conf file. But my apache-tomcat have no such kind of fire.

Could someone give me some hints?

There are three places related to port number setting in the /conf/server.xml file.

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

<Connector port="9999" protocol="HTTP/1.1" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"
/>// I change the 8080 to 9999 for my own use.

<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />