tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale Ogilvie" <Dale_Ogil...@trimble.com>
Subject Buggy java native call kills tomcat
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 03:27:32 GMT
Hi all,

Saw this recently... Some java native code included in our tomcat
deployment contained an error, which caused a JVM segfault when a
webapp called the routine.

I was startled by the fact that this native code error brought down the
entire tomcat instance (all 15+ web apps) due to a fault in a native
library (installed in tomcat/lib) called by one app.

This would have been very scary if this happened in PROD instead of
dev/test.

My question: can we protect ourselves from total instance failure, i.e.
restrict the damage to the death of just the app calling the native
library? Is there a way to make the tomcat VM survive a badly written
native component?

Thanks

Dale