tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <smithh032...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: websockets holding on to threads.
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:53:43 GMT
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <
Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: Anton Piatek1 [mailto:anton.piatek@uk.ibm.com]
> > Subject: Re: websockets holding on to threads.
>
> > My thinking about it being a bug is that to support N clients with
> > websockets, you need N threads available on tomcat, even though they are
> > only getting updates every x seconds.
>
> I don't know if this will have any effect, but try using the NIO
> <Connector> instead of the BIO one.  Set the protocol attribute to
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol and see what happens.

Good recommendation, Chuck.

I have been using NIO connector for several months now and websockets have
been working as designed/expected. Also, my websocket implementation was
working-as-designed prior to using NIO connector; I think I was using APR,
as my tomcat install-or-configuration seemed to default to APR.