tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: RE : Tomcat 6.0.35 Crashed again
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 05:59:16 GMT
> From: saumil shah [mailto:saumil125@hotmail.com]
> Subject: RE : Tomcat 6.0.35 Crashed again

> It would be "prefered" to make Min and Max heap size same

Usually that is the case.

> is -XX:+UseParallelGC recommended , since I have 8 core machine or would
> there be penalty to that ?

You very likely should use one of the parallel collector settings.  Depending on the JVM version
and the platform you're running on, it may already be enabled by default.

You might want to review this:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/gc-tuning-6-140523.html

Although written for Java 6, it's still applicable to Java 7 and 8.  There is a newer parallel
and concurrent collector (G1) available in Java 7, but I'm not sure what it's stability is
like yet.  It is destined to be the default collector one of these days.

 - Chuck