tomcat-users mailing list archives

From dvosbu...@aol.com
Subject Re: Trouble loading MS SQl Server database driver in Tomcat 7.0.37
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:01:02 GMT
Neven,

Thanks for the suggestions. We'd hoped we could just move this app over to Tomcat pretty easily,
but yeah, we'll probably have to get the developer more involved. I'll check out the things
that you suggested though. Is there any substitute for the JBossTransactionManager that could
be used in Tomcat and configured in hibernate.cfg.xml?

Thanks,

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Neven Cvetkovic <neven.cvetkovic@gmail.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thu, Apr 4, 2013 12:43 pm
Subject: Re: Trouble loading MS SQl Server database driver in Tomcat 7.0.37

Hey David,

I've misread that earlier - this is *java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError* -
which means the class that was available at the compile time is not
available now to the JVM.

I suspect it might be a problem with your *
com.systemsmadesimple.hibernate.HibernateUtil* class implementation. As per
specification (JSE 12.4.2 Detailed Initialization Procedure
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-12.html#jls-12.4.2)
says: "5. If the Class object for C is in an erroneous state, then
initialization is not possible. Release LC and throw a
NoClassDefFoundError."

Now, for some reason that class worked fine on JBoss (that has hibernate
and other required libraries packaged already), and now it is failing on
Tomcat.

I would look into the following things:

1. Contents of the WEB-INF/lib? What libraries? What versions?
2. Contents of CATALINA_HOME/lib? What else is there other than standard
libraries?
3. HibernateUtil class implementation
4. How your transaction manager has been configured?

This is just a wild guess, it might be that your developers leveraged
transaction manager in the static initializer of HibernateUtil class, and
that worked on JBoss since *JBossTransactionManagerLookup* is configured in
your hibernate.cfg.xml file - now it is failing in Tomcat, and somehow
other exceptions/errors are consumed/hidden in try-catch blocks in
HibernateUtil class.

Do you have access to the HibernateUtil source code? Who is
building/packaging this application for you?

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
Neven