tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: getting the request that created the session
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:54:27 GMT
Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> Hello Andre,
>

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Leon,
>> I apologise for insisting, but your initial post said :
>> "Background, I want to count sessions by top level domains..."
>>

> Yes, but @Runtime. Means that I want to know how many sessions from each
> tld are active _now_.

Ok then, right.  But you didn't really specify that in your initial requirements.

> Parsing http log continuously and instantly would be an overkill in my
> opinion.

Agreed.

And I don't see a way to see a session expiry in access log ;-)

Ok, I give up. I was just making sure that you did get the correct meaning of my initial
suggestion.

..although, when I think about it again :

- under Unix/Linux, there is a command "tail -f <filename>", which continuously watches

for any lines added to a file and displays them.  It doesn't seem to be very intensive in

terms of resources used.
- and on the other hand, you probably have a session expiration timeout.
So you could in theory say that you note the start of a session, and then update this each

time there is a new access to that same session.  And then periodically, you go through
your table and for each session which you haven't seen since some time >= the session
timeout, you consider it expired.

At which time of course I don't know if this is any simpler than the solution which you
are exploring right now.
;-)