tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: getting the request that created the session
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:13:41 GMT
Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
> _______________________________________
> From: Leon Rosenberg [rosenberg.leon@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: getting the request that created the session
>
>>  would ServletRequestListener being notified prior to any Filter execution?
>
> According to the docs, yes.
>
> "A ServletRequest is defined as coming into scope of a web application when it is about
to enter the first servlet or filter of the web application, and as going out of scope as
it exits the last servlet or the first filter in the chain."

> http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/ServletRequestListener.html

Leon,
I apologise for insisting, but your initial post said :
"Background, I want to count sessions by top level domains..."

It was probably politically a bad idea to start by saying that I agreed with Martin. ;-)

But if the above is really your final purpose, and the final purpose is more important
than the way in which you get to it, would it not be simpler and more efficient to do this

by processing the server's access log, rather than going through all you're going through

right now ?

Tomcat's AccessLog Valve is indeed specific to Tomcat.
But webserver access logs exist on all webservers, and they tend to have the same general

format, and contain the same general information (which you can generally also choose
yourself).  And the programs to read and process them already exist and are widely used.
And they do provide an analysis that shows "unique users" and/or "sessions", based on the

client's IP (with some filtering already possible and tunable, such as avoiding to count
your own "admin" accesses e.g.). And they will resolve the IP's to domains and provide a
break-down by domain etc.
Have you looked at one such outputs already ? (If not, I can send you a link to an
example, privately)

I understand that it is less interesting to do it this way than through Request Listeners

etc., but if the end result is what really matters..