tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Beikov <christian.bei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Policy files
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 03:25:32 GMT
Well I understand that there is only one SecurityManager per JVM, but as
you mentioned I can restrict actions for specific CodeBases. This is
what I am actually trying to do. I want the student web applications to
have only a hand full of permissions defined in a policy file. I think I
explained my self wrong earlier. The policy file I am speaking of, the
one I want to apply to student projects, is more like a set of
permissions that I want to give the web applications. I mainly want my
testsuite and everything packaged with it to have all permissions.
Generally the student projects should have no permissions. I want to
give these applications only a minimal set of permissions, only the ones
they actually would need to fullfil their tasks.

The WebappClassLoader supports the method addPermission(Permission)
which is nice somehow, but I don't want to hard code the permissions but
rather have them in a policy file or so. The reason for having the
permissions in a policy file is mainly because I thought I can configure
something in context.xml so that the policy file gets picked up by tomcat.

I just don't want to have these applications running on my computer not
knowing what they actually do. To be honest I couldn't think of any
permission I would give a student application. The libraries that can be
used are predefined, so I give these jar files the permissions for
reflection or whatever they need to work properly.

Am I simplifying the whole thing and is what I want much harder to
achive than I think?