tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: two responses from one request - how is it possible ?
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 21:40:16 GMT
Jeffrey Janner wrote:

> In actuality, he should have stopped the first sentence at "Engine", and then continued
with a new sentence (keeping in mind the simplified structure):
>   "The Engine will then see if the first string after the hostname portion
>    of the request URL matches any of the defined contexts. If a match is found,
>    then the request is passed to that context and the response is sent back
>    via the original connector.  If a match is not found, then an error is returned."

That is a big improvement over the original (which in my view is quite beyond redemption),

but I believe that a better way would be to point the interested reader to chapter 12 of
the Java Servlet Specification 3.0 ("Mapping Requests to Servlets"), which says it all
(granted, in many more words).
What is for example missing above are the concepts of, and mapping to, the "default
context", servlets within a context, and "default servlet".