tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: two responses from one request - how is it possible ?
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 00:03:23 GMT
Jakub 1983 wrote:
> http://www.mulesoft.com/tomcat-connector states:
>
> Using the current arrangement, both Connectors will pass all requests to
> the same Engine, which will in turn pass all these requests to both of its
> contained web applications.  This means that each request will potentially
> generate two responses, one from each application.
> <Server>
>   <Service>
>     <Connector port="8443"/>
>     <Connector port="8444"/>
>     <Engine>
>       <Host name="yourhostname">
>         <Context path="/webapp1"/>
>         <Context path="/webapp2"/>
>       </Host>
>     </Engine>
>   </Service>
> </Server>
>
> Is it really true what they write ?

(For anyone else reading this, I did look at the indicated webpage, and it is really what

they say there)

To me, it sounds like utter nonsense.
Or else, I need to revise my whole understamding of HTTP and Tomcat.

It even looks like nonsense squared, since :

- each request is sent by one client on one connection to one port (meaning one Tomcat
Connector), and the (single) response to that request will also come back on that same
connection
- each request should have a target URL (like /webapp1 OR /webapp2, but not both), and
will be processed (once) by the application (context) corresponding to that URL, and will

generate only one response

Maybe we should ask the author of that page for more details.  He may have invented the
amplifier version of Tomcat.

Additionally, it is really bad practice to put <Context> elements in the server.xml
file.