tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: security-role-ref doesn't work
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 21:30:36 GMT
On 19/04/2013 21:47, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 19/04/2013 21:37, Propes, Barry L wrote:
>> What version are you using?
>>
>>  Mine doesn't contain this attribute pair at all...
>>
>> <security-role-ref>
>> </security-role-ref>
>
> The version being used is irrelevant. <security-role-ref> is only valid
> inside a <servlet> element.
>
> There might still be a bug here - I'm currently looking at the source to
> check - but it isn't the bug the OP thinks they have found.

Digging in to this Tomcat's behaviour is specification compliant.
<security-role-ref> are only intended to work with a specific Servlet
and only with calls to isUserInRole(). However, that means there are
various places where it would be helpful to do a role mapping where it
is not currently possible. I have started a discussion on the dev list
about how to handle this. It will probably move to the Servlet EG unless
I have missed something obvious.

Mark