tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Errors when trying to configure SSL for Apache Tomcat 7
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:07:30 GMT

James,

On 4/17/13 10:12 AM, James Snider wrote:
> After reviewing the APR<Connector> documentation, I am still
> receiving the errors involving the SSL Certificate and do not
> understand where the issue is being generated.  I have attached a
> copy of my current server.xml file and screenshots of the errors I
> am receiving upon start up.

Server.xml came over, but the screenshots did not: this list strips
most attachments.

> Can you give me more insight on resolving this issue?

Your configuration in your two environments is identical (server.xml
is nominally the same) but your two environments are not identical. To
wit: your broken environment is missing the tcnative library. Your log
file even told you so:

> Apr 12, 2013 4:05:59 PM
> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init INFO: The APR
> based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance
> in production environments was not found on the java.library.path:
> C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 7.0\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_17\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;.

While

that is an INFO message and does not in and of itself represent
a problem, you are clearly trying to use the APR connector which
requires this library to be present:

> Apr 12, 2013 4:05:59 PM
> org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule begin WARNING:
> [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property
> 'SSLCertificateFile' to 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\conf\CRT\ www.companyx.com.crt' did not find
> a matching property.

The SSLCertificateFile <Connector> attribute is only valid for APR
connectors. Thus, you need tcnative to be installed and have a
matching architecture to your JVM.

> Is there a support # I can call to have a technician walk me
> through troubleshooting this or any professional services I can
> contact?

Apache is an all-volunteer organization and this (and other) mailing
lists are provided at no cost to you. Any subscriber to this list may
feel free to give you advice but that advice comes with no warranty
and no guarantee of success. It also comes with no cost. You get what
you pay for.

If you want to pay someone to help you *right now*, consider looking
at the list of Tomcat consultants which you can find here:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/SupportAndTraining

Honestly, this is something you can fix yourself by asking yourself
these questions:

1. Where is Tomcat installed? Is there a tcnative*.dll file somewhere
inside that directory (or subdirectories)? If it's not there, your
installation is broken and you should try again. Chuck suggested that
already.

2. What JVM are you running? What is the architecture (ia32, ia64, or
x86_64)? What is the architecture of the .dll file you found above? If
they don't match, then you need to make them match. Re-installing
Tomcat and ensuring that you choose the JVM you intend to use during
installation should ensure that you have the right flavor library in
the right place.

- -chris