tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat access log reveals hack attempt: "HEAD /manager/html HTTP/1.0" 404
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:37:41 GMT
Pïd stèr wrote:
> On 16 Apr 2013, at 17:58, chris derham <chris@derham.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Or, another way of looking at this would be that for every 40 servers
>>> scanned without a 404 delay, the same bot infrastructure within the same
>>> time would only be able to scan 1 server if a 1 s 404 delay was implemented
>>> by 50% of the webservers.
>> This assumes that the scanning software makes sequential requests.
>> Assuming your suggestion was rolled out (which I think is a good idea
>> in principal), wouldn't the scanners be updated to make concurrent
>> async requests? At which point, you only end up adding 1 second to the
>> total original time? Which kind of defeats it.
>>
>> Again I'd like to state that I think you are onto a good idea, but the
>> other important point is that some (most?) of these scans are run from
>> botnets. These have zero cost (well for the bot farmers anyway). My
>> point is even if the proposal worked, they don't care if their herd is
>> held up a little longer - they are abusing other people
>> computers/connections so it doesn't cost them anything directly.
>>
>> Sorry but those are my thoughts
>
> I tend to agree. Effort will just be expended elsewhere, and that's
> assuming this would have enough of an impact to be noticed.

Say that it would be easy to implement this in Tomcat, and that we do not collectively
find good reasons not to do so, and that it does get implemented.

Then I pledge that my next move would be to bring this similarly onto the Apache httpd
list (using the Tomcat precedent as an introduction of course (à la "hey guys ? those
smart Tomcat developers have just had a great idea etc..")).

I haven't checked the actual numbers yet, but I would imagine that between Apache httpd
and Tomcat, we're talking of a significant proportion of the overall webservers, no ?

Alternatively of course, still if there are no definite arguments against it, but the
Tomcat developers are not interested, I could go to the Apache list anyway. And then they

might be the first to introduce this great feature.

Or maybe I'll just patent it, and then sell the patent to the makers of the third
most-popular webserver..