tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jamie <ja...@mailarchiva.com>
Subject multi-tenant web app
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:08:38 GMT
Greetings!

I would like some advice with regards to deploying a web app in a
multi-tenant scenario. A while back, we had a few cloud service
providers ask us if they could host our web app as a service. Under
pressure to come with a quick solution, we responded by implementing a
manager like application (much like the Tomcat manager app), that could
deploy additional web apps by copying the contents of our WAR file to a
new directory under webapps . For instance:

webapps\customer1
webapps\customer2
etc.

This approach works but it presents several problems:

  * When there are a large number of webapps, Tomcat takes a long time
    to load. This can be mitigated to a minor extent with TC7's new
    parallel load feature.
  * Tomcat uses alot more memory that it would otherwise since it has to
    load the classes pertaining to each webapp multiple times
  * The contents of one war file is duplicated several times. When there
    are a large number of webapps, it becomes difficult to manage all
    the files and state of the server.

The advantage of the approach is that each web app can potentially run a
different version of our software.

My question is - how does one configure TC7 such that it will:

  * Have the ability to load the same webapp multiple times, while
    pointing it to one WAR file webapp path
  * Prevent Tomcat from loading the class files and resources of the
    same WAR file multiple times
  * Start up each app as fast possible
  * Such as that the addition of new instances will be as scalable as
    possible.

Much appreciate

Jamie