tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: websockets holding on to threads.
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 01:35:35 GMT

> Chuck,
>
> On 4/8/13 8:30 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Anton Piatek1 [mailto:anton.piatek@uk.ibm.com] Subject: Re:
>>> websockets holding on to threads.
>>
>>> My thinking about it being a bug is that to support N clients
>>> with websockets, you need N threads available on tomcat, even
>>> though they are only getting updates every x seconds.
>>
>> I don't know if this will have any effect, but try using the NIO
>> <Connector> instead of the BIO one.  Set the protocol attribute to
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol and see what happens.
>
> +1
>
> I think there was a recent discussion about using Websocket under BIO:
> basically, you go back to sucking again.

Short version:

BIO = 1 thread per connection (doesn't scale)

NIO/APR = 1 thread per currently processed frame

i.e. NIO/APR allocate a thread to process an incoming frame and that
thread stays allocated until the frame has been completely read. Putting
it another way NIO and APR are non-blocking between frames and blocking
within frames. Writes always block.

Mark