tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Monitoring multiple tomcat instances from single app
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 19:18:22 GMT
My system has several instances of TC 7.0.22, running on windows server
2008 R2, and JRE 6.0.27.  And yes, I know both TC and Java could use an
update...

The TC instances are all running the same webapp, as a Windows service,
though not all have the exact same version of the webapp.  Each is
running from its own catalina.base directory, but all have the same
catalina.home.  Each instance is listening on a different TCP port, and
everything is working fine, handling several hundred requests per second.

What I'd like to do is develop an easier way of monitoring each instance
than what I have now.  In particular, I'd like to get visibility to a
couple of the webapp's internal variables (they're counters), as well as
being able to stop and restart the instances if necessary.  My current
method is that the app has a browser page that I can log into and see
the variables of interest, and I use tomcat7w to control the service
instances.  Of course, that requires me to log into each one of them
individually to check on them.  That requirement for separate logins is
what I'd like to eliminate if possible.

Is this even remotely doable from (ideally) another webapp running on
the same server, or maybe an external non-browser app?  Or am I just
dreaming?  Can JMX allow me to see internal application variables and
control services?

Thanks for any suggestions!