tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat jmx disabled by default ?
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 19:08:41 GMT
On 4/7/2013 7:54 AM, Jakub 1983 wrote:
> Neven,
>
> thx for your reply,
>
> so my question is why when I start my own main without passing
> -Dcom.sun.management.* properties I can connect to it with jconsole,
> but I cannot connect with jconsole to tomcat (although it is visible in
> jconsole) ?
>
> both my main, and tomcat, and jconsole are running on the same laptop.
>
> regards,
> Jakub
>

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Neven Cvetkovic
> <neven.cvetkovic@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Jakub,
>>
>> "You don't have to" configure Tomcat with above settings to get JMX. You
>> are correct that JMX works out of the box. However, that works only
>> locally, above commands are for REMOTE JMX access. You are opening up a jmx
>> port so external (not same machine) jconsole or jvirtualvm can access JMX
>> MBean server your Tomcat is running. Thus, if you want to connect to remote
>> Tomcat instance, "you have to provide" JMX connection details, and that's
>> what we often do.
>>
>> The above settings are best configured in CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.bat or
>> setenv.sh script that you need to create. Even though this script doesn't
>> exist by default, startup script calls it if it is created by user. All
>> your customizations should be contained there.
>>
>> Hope that helps. Cheers!
>> On Apr 7, 2013 5:59 AM, "Jakub 1983" <jjakub83@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> why do I have to enable jmx with command
>>>
>>> *set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote \
>>>      -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=%my.jmx.port% \
>>>      -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false \
>>>      -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false*
>>>

>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/monitoring.html
>>>
>>> even when I run it *under java 6* ?
>>> in java 6 jmx is active by default (it is active when I run my own main),
>>> I cannot see how it is disabled by default by tomcat start scripts,
>>> but when I run default startup, I cannot connect with jconsole,
>>> when I set CATALINA_OPTS as above, it works fine,
>>> but why doesn't it work without it ?
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Jakub

Works for me . . . I just started my Tomcat 7.0.39 with Java 6 and a
Java 6 version of jconsole connects right up:

Environment:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
JRE / JDK: 1.6.0_43
Tomcat: 7.0.39

I have a setenv.bat with:

set "JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6"

since my normal environment is JRE / JDK 7.

Maybe your Windows firewall isn't configured to allow Java network
connections? However that wouldn't explain why it works when JMX is
configured.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/