tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Serve same content to multiple URL's
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:17:47 GMT

On 4/4/13 4:21 PM, Chris Arnold wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2013, at 2:38 PM, "Christopher Schultz"
> <> wrote:
>> Chris,
>> On 4/4/13 12:28 PM, Chris Arnold wrote:
>>> I have tried to add a second worker (worker2) in
>>> and added a virtualhost like: Here is the
>>> configured virtualhost for domain2: 2nd virtualhost: JkMount
>>> /share|/* worker2 RedirectMatch ^/$
>> If you want the content to be identical, why do you need a second
>> worker?
> I didn't think I needed a second worker but because the working
> config only worked for and nothing else, I
> wanted to verify it should work or I needed another worker and you
> verified I do not need another worker and in fact, the existing
> config for should work for

You definitely don't need a second worker.

>> Why do you need a second VirtualHost, even?
> Apache has to answer for that request (
> and pass it to tomcat

Sure, but you don't care what the target of the request is: everything
goes to the same backend, right?

>>> When i type i arrive at 1 of our
>>> websites but not the tomcat content. When i type
>>> i get a 404 error. Do i need to
>>> define another worker to accomplish this or should the defined
>>> worker work for any domain given there is a virtualhost
>>> defined?
>> Workers don't care about VirtualHosts: the client's request
>> headers will be sent to Tomcat and another round of virtual host
>> resolution will occur over there. Having separate workers does
>> not help anything.
>> I'm not sure why you are getting 404s: any idea if it's a
>> response coming from httpd or Tomcat?
> No error logs in apache or tomcat which is weird?

Well, httpd should have something in its access log. Does Tomcat have
anything in its access log? If not, then httpd is returning the 404
and you don't have your mod_jk configuration correct. Can you post
more of your httpd.conf? Where do you have JkWorkersFile configured?

>> If you browse to are you properly
>> redirected (as I would expect given the above configuration) to
>> ?
> It doesn't appear so as a apache site answers the request.

Apache httpd should be answering the request and responding with a
redirect. Does the redirect happen (check your URL bar, or use a
protocol sniffer like HttpFox, etc. through your web browser).

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -