tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat access log reveals hack attempt: "HEAD /manager/html HTTP/1.0" 404
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:46:34 GMT
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 01:24:04PM -0500, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > From: Leo Donahue - RDSA IT [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov]
> > Subject: RE: Tomcat access log reveals hack attempt: "HEAD /manager/html HTTP/1.0"
404

> > So you are saying it could be possible to know in advance that certain
> > requests are for repeated requests of nothing or being made by a bot,
> > versus regular legitimate requests, in order to move those bot requests
> > off to another thread?
>
> Nothing of the sort.  You simply put each 404 response on queue, and have an existing
timer thread send it out when the appropriate delay has been achieved.  No threads are tied
up during the delaying action.

However, sockets *are* tied up.  We don't get this benefit for free;
it costs both kernel and application memory.  Even if the limits on
these are infinitely adjustable, we might not want to adjust them that
high because they are doing another job for us.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.