tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: problem with clustering
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 13:34:51 GMT
On Apr 5, 2013, at 6:02 AM, Andy Pahne wrote:

> Am 04.04.2013 15:01, schrieb Daniel Mikusa:
>

> The tomcat version is 6.0.18, running on Linux 2.6.24, Java version is 1.6.0_13.

That's incredibly old, you should look at upgrading ASAP.

>> It would be helpful to post your configuration, minus comments, as well as the exact
version of Tomcat that you are running.

> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
>
>  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" SSLEngine="on"
/>
>  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JasperListener" />
>  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener" />
>  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
/>

>  <GlobalNamingResources>
>
>    <Resource name="UserDatabase" auth="Container"
>              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
>              description="User database that can be updated and saved"
> factory="org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory"
>              pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
>  </GlobalNamingResources>
>
>  <Service name="Catalina">
>
>    <Connector port="8090" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>               connectionTimeout="20000"
>               redirectPort="8443" />
>
>    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />
>
>    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">
>      <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"/>

While this will work, you can't customize any of the cluster configuration settings when you
use it.  You might want to look at replacing this with the expanded XML for a cluster setup.
 It's a lot more XML, but it gives you much more control over your configuration.  See the
following link which shows what the above element is equivalent to.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html#For_the_impatient

Once you make the switch, you can try adjusting the "dropTime" and "frequency" settings like
I mentioned in my previous email.  You'd set them on the <Membership/> element.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/cluster-membership.html

Dan

>      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
>             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
>      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>            xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>      </Host>
>    </Engine>
>  </Service>
> </Server>
>

>> If you suspect a network issue, you could try monitoring with Wireshark or tcpdump
to capture the network packets.  Analysis of the packets could show if there is a problem.
 Another option would be to try and use a tool like iperf to put a high load on your network
and possibly trigger the problem.