tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rahul Somasunderam <r...@certifydatasystems.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat DBCP Logging
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 22:59:05 GMT
Thanks Dan,

The initialSize brought the logs into my catalina.out.

R,
rahul

On Mar 6, 2013, at 2:21 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa@vmware.com> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Rahul Somasunderam wrote:

>>> This is getting pretty old, you might want to consider upgrading.
>>
>> I will, but I don't think this has to do much with tomcat being old. I think it's
with me having to configure the logging correctly.

> You're right, this is not related to the issue at hand.  It's just a general reminder
:)

and my application works as expected.

>>> When it's wrong what happens?  How are you testing for failure?  Are you accessing
a page in your app that requires the DB?

>> I'm testing this by changing the password in my context to be a wrong password. I'm
looking at the startup logs and I see this in catalina.out

>> Mar 06, 2013 11:57:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
>> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
>> Mar 06, 2013 11:57:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
>> SEVERE: Context [/foo] startup failed due to previous errors
>
> Your application failed to start for some reason.  It appears that a listener has failed.
 You should check the other Tomcat log files and your application log files for clues.

'org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache@1296dee6')
>> Mar 06, 2013 11:56:55 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
>> INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
>> Mar 06, 2013 11:58:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
>> INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
>> Mar 06, 2013 11:58:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
>> INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
>> Mar 06, 2013 11:58:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
>
> Is this the entire localhost.YYYY-MM-DD.log file?  Given the SEVERE log in catalina.out,
I would have expected an exception here.

> Dan
>
> PS.  Have you tried setting the "initialSize" attribute on your <Resource /> tag?
 That should force DBCP to create a connection at startup and, if that connection fails, it
should log it.  I tested this in my Tomcat setup, with an out-of-the-box logging configuration,
and it worked fine.

>>> Hard to say for sure, but it's possible that DBCP may not even be connecting
to the Database.  The "initialSize" parameter defaults to 0, so on startup it won't make any
connections.  Maybe try setting "initialSize" to "1" and see what happens.

>>> https://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html
>>>
>>> Dan

error code and jdbc throwing an exception.