tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vihari Piratla <>
Subject Re: Problem with log level in tomcat.
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 07:15:23 GMT
Please find the pasted properties file.
I did perform any of the steps that I am supposed if I got to use log4j,
but it still create muse(name of my web-app).log in /tmp directory with a
message like this in catalina.out.
01 Mar 12:28 Log4JUtils INFO  - Log messages will be recorded in
True that I am using log4j not juli in the webapp. This is how I am getting
the handle in the class files.
public static Log log = LogFactory.getLog(Crossword.class);

This is the file in the WEBINF/classes folder of the
I tried few things like appending the line log4j.logger=debug with no avail.
# For the general syntax of property based configuration files see the
# documentation of org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.

# The root category uses the appender called A1. Since no priority is
# specified, the root category assumes the default priority for root
# which is DEBUG in log4j. The root category is the only category that
# has a default priority. All other categories need not be assigned a
# priority in which case they inherit their priority from the
# hierarchy.

log4j.rootCategory=INFO, Console
log4j.logger.freemarker.cache=INFO, ROOT

# A1 is set to be a LF5Appender which outputs to a swing
# logging console.

# this is now done programmatically in JSPHelper
# log4j.appender.ROOT=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
# log4j.appender.ROOT.encoding=UTF-8
# log4j.appender.ROOT.MaxFileSize=5000KB
# log4j.appender.ROOT.File=muse.log
# Keep old files around
# log4j.appender.ROOT.MaxBackupIndex=2
# log4j.appender.ROOT.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
# log4j.appender.ROOT.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{dd MMM HH:mm} %c{1} %-5p
- %m%n

log4j.appender.Console.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{dd MMM HH:mm} %c{1} %-5p
- %m%n