tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading Tomcat in the customer base
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:07:49 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 19/03/2013 19:24, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We deploy tomcat in our own folder (c:\rsi_tc\tomcat) on a WIndows
>> machine as a service. We use the service.bat to install
>> as a service. Historically to update tomcat we would remove the current
>> version and install the new version. There is rub in all
>> this which we have to change the service login to be an account that can
>> access files from a network share. Therefore when
>> we upgrade tomcat, we remove the current version and install the new
>> version and then someone ( the customer :-(  ) has to
>> go into the service and change the service login back to the account
>> that will give them access to the network share.
>
> What is on the network share?

It seems to me that in this case, the "minimally-invasive" solution might just be some
script which changes the user-id under which the service runs, particularly if this
user-id already exists and has the correct permissions and has "the right to run a
Service".  The Tomcat update already requires running as an Administrator, so this script

could run in the same context.
A small VBS script e.g.
Or just this command-line maybe :

sc config <servicename> obj= <accountname> pass= <password>

It uses the Windows built-in utility sc to change the credential of a windows service.

Source : serching Google for "vbs change service login".