tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Procrun and Tomcat service/OS shutdown on Windows
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:38:47 GMT
Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:

> [...]

An additional note maybe :
This may or may not be applicable to Tomcat running as a Service through procrun, but
having written programs in Perl which act as Windows Services, I know that the "service
program" itself can indicate to Windows how long it will take to start it as a service or

stop it as a service.  This then conditions Windows (probably the "Windows Service
Manager") to wait that long, before it declares the Service as non-responsive (and, in the

case of a "stop service" signal, starts taking more drastic action).
For example, this impacts the "progress bar" which you see during a "start service" or
"stop service" action in the GUI interaction with Services.  If the Service tells Windows

that it needs one full minute to start, then that progress bar will take a minute to reach

100%.
I do not know if procrun currently allows the setting of this kind of parameter.  But if
it doesn't, and if this would help you, you could always file an enhancement request.

Note that I do use this in the programs mentioned above, without really understanding how

it works deep down.  It is all a bit weird, because it doesn't seem to be 100%
deterministic, and involves a Windows "Event loop" with "messages" between the program and

the Service Manager.  But in my case it does work for where I wanted it to work, and I
never dug deeper.