tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: date format in Last-modified header
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:31:50 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> On 3/11/13 11:17 AM, getridofthespam wrote:
>> Google didn't give any relevant info so I try here.
>>
>> I traced a tomcat request and noticed there where two different
>> date formats in the last-modified header: 2012-12-13T09:52:02Z and
>> Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:49:08 GMT
>>
>> What determines the format and where do the differences come from?
>
> RFC 2616 (HTTP)[1] does not directly reference RFC 2822 (Internet
> Message Format), but that's the format that's being used -- covered in
> section 3.3 [2]. That's where the format that begins with the day-of-week.
>
> I'm surprised that Tomcat ever emits anything that looks like
> yyyyMMddTHHmmssZZ -- that's ISO 8601 date formats. Since ISO 8601
> predates HTTP, I'm not sure why that wasn't chosen. But HTTP has some
> old crap that should have never been put into the protocol from day
> one, so why not an insane date format specification?

Just by coincidence, I happened to be looking at some HTTP/DAV output right now (from
Apache's DAV), and I noticed this :
<D:getcontenttype>application/pdf</D:getcontenttype>
<lp1:creationdate>2012-12-21T09:25:53Z</lp1:creationdate>
<lp1:getlastmodified>Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:25:53 GMT</lp1:getlastmodified>
<lp1:getcontentlength>1009325</lp1:getcontentlength>
<lp1:resourcetype/>

So there we have these 2 formats within a same HTTP response from the same module on the
same server and about the same file, both of which could obviously have used the same format.
Why make it simple when complicated will do ?