tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Console when running as a service.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:20:23 GMT
pid@pidster.com wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2013, at 14:21, "André Warnier" <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> So if for some scenarios, it would be useful to use say MS-Word to
>> produce a PDF version of a document, it is not possible (or very difficult) to trigger
>> this from Tomcat when running as a Service.
>
> Eek! Eek I say!

+1. Eek, I tearfully and shamefully agree.
But still 90% or more of corporate internal documents are written as Word documents, and
there is no open-source tool which can perfectly handle this shamefully proprietary format

and convert it to some non-propietary format that one could still read in 10 year's time,

so what is one to do if one wants to get some money to get one's children through computer

school and pay for their iPhones, he ?

But the main point was that there are cases where running as a Service is the most
appropriate way, and cases where it isn't.  And that modern technology often provides a
variety of ways to achieve one's goals at minimum expense and frustration. And that many
times it is not that the information on how to do something is not available, it is a
matter of not knowing where or how to find it among the clutter.  So indicating some
practical alternatives seemed the right thing to do here.