tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Console when running as a service.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:11:01 GMT
Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
> I would be curious to find out how many users run Tomcat from the console in a virtual
machine environment.

> When you remote into your virtual machine that is running Tomcat from the console, you
must not be logging off of that session are you?  How do you keep the console window open,
unless you just close the session?  When you remote back into your server after time passes,
how do you know you will get the same session?

> In our virtual environment, I've never been able to leave the console window running.
 Something eventually kills the console window, so we've been running it as a service.

I do this all the time, on a series of servers (Tomcat or others), often on several
servers at once from my laptop.
Using a vSphere Client or VNC for instance, does not logoff the user session or close any

window when you connect/disconnect.   It is only MS Remote Desktop or Remote Console
thingies who do that.

And both the above solutions require a password to connect to the console, so since there

is no "real" physical console attached to the server, the fact of leaving this console
"logged-in" is not any more of a security issue than anything else.

I am not advocating this solution as a universal solution to everything. There are cases
when running as a Windows Service is more appropriate (or mandatory).  In some other
cases, the above solutions are more practical. YMMV as they say.