tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Console when running as a service.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:03:44 GMT

http://tailforwin32.sourceforge.net/.

>> Talking about "getting with the times", maybe you are missing another
>> evolutionary step here : virtualisation (see Vmware etc.).  Basically,
>> this allows you to create a "virtual machine" in which to run Windows
>> (and Tomcat), and to connect from a remote location to the (also
>> virtual) console of that machine.  This would allow you to continue to
>> run Tomcat in a command window (and see STDOUT/STDERR), without some of
>> the inconvenients due to having to have a physical console to run it
>> on.
>
> But some of the advantages of using a service (whether on a physical or virtual server)
are automatic startup (without having to be logged into the server) at boot time, and the
ability to restart the service or to take other action if the service should stop (presuming
that the cause of the stoppage was not something that would prevent the service from starting
again).

> And the console only contains a limited amount of information (even considering the data
accessible by scrolling back in the window), so if one is not constantly monitoring the console,
one is likely to miss events that would also be captured in the log files.

I agree with all the above.

On the other hand, running in a console (or command window) as a normal process also has
some advantages compared to running as a Service.  For example, a lot of standard Windows

programs will not run, or not correctly, when used in a Service context (MS-Office
programs for example). So if for some scenarios, it would be useful to use say MS-Word to

produce a PDF version of a document, it is not possible (or very difficult) to trigger
this from Tomcat when running as a Service. But it runs perfectly well when Tomcat runs in

a command window.