tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Console when running as a service.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:33:56 GMT
Sam Takoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed Tomcat 7 as a service (by running "service install").
>
> This is a change for me: historically, I've been running tomcat by running "startup"
in "tomcat/bin", but now I want to get with the times.

> With my new, better way of running tomcat, how do I monitor with the server is writing
to stdout and stderr? I know where to find the content (tomcat7-stderr.2013-03-11.log, etc.)
but what is a good way to monitor it, i.e. see what's going on as it is happening?

Well, basically it is either the one or the other, can't have your cake and eat it, etc..
A "Service" or "daemon", by definition, runs in the background and doesn't give you a
real-time console to look at.
Under Unix/Linux, you could use a command like "tail -f <logfile>" which would display
the
end of the logfile as it is being written.  But I do not know if Windows has any
equivalent thing.

Talking about "getting with the times", maybe you are missing another evolutionary step
here : virtualisation (see Vmware etc.).  Basically, this allows you to create a "virtual

machine" in which to run Windows (and Tomcat), and to connect from a remote location to
the (also virtual) console of that machine.  This would allow you to continue to run
Tomcat in a command window (and see STDOUT/STDERR), without some of the inconvenients due

to having to have a physical console to run it on.

HTH.