tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tanmoy Chatterjee <Tanmoy.Chatter...@nxp.com>
Subject RE: Question regarding JNDIRealm - tomcat 6.0.35
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 09:06:42 GMT
We are not using openldap but eDirectory. Unfortunately we do not have access to the ldap configurations...only
information we have is that after about 2 mins of idle connection, ldap drops the same from
its side. Bit if we see in app server side using netstat, we can still see the same connection.
Regarding the connection,you are right in terms of the number of times tomcat tries to connect..it
is 2....what I meant when tomcat keeps on trying is that tomcat tries to use the same 'BROKEN'
connection to connect to the LDAP without creating a new connection for 4-5 mins.

By the way....The below code worked successfully.
  @Override
  public void start() throws org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException {
        super.start();
        if (context != null) {
                close(context);
        }

-----Original Message-----
From: Cédric Couralet [mailto:cedric.couralet@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Question regarding JNDIRealm - tomcat 6.0.35

2013/2/20 Tanmoy Chatterjee <Tanmoy.Chatterjee@nxp.com>:
> Thanks Cédric, I will try this and let you know.
> Once Ldap closes the connection from it's end, tomcat indeed keeps on trying and finally
establishes a new connection....but  the time spent in retrying is too high (more than 4-5
minutes) and in that time...user cannot login....the login page just sort of hangs in the
browser.

I'd say this is more a problem with openldap. Do you know why tomcat hangs to recreate the
connection when openldap closes it? Do you have anything in openldap configuration which could
explain this.

We are at the moment migrating our old ldap server to openldap and this could be a real issue
for us.

Just a note, from what I see, Tomcat does not keep on trying. A first attempt is made on the
context then if an exception is thrown, it is caught and tomcat call the open method again
(wich tries first the connectionURL and then the alternateUrl if problem). So only two attempts
if I'm not wrong.