tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Harris, Jeffrey E." <>
Subject Need to Specify keystorePass on Command Line
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:17:39 GMT
I am running Tomcat 7.0.35 on Windows Server 2003 SP2, x32.  I have SSL configured, and if
add the keystorePass parameter to server.xml, SSL starts correctly.

However, for security reasons, I must specify the keystore password on the command line.
I have searched and the only possible way to I have found to do this is via the<pass>
directive.  However, as other before me have found, this does not seem to work.

My command line:

tomcat7 //TS//Tomcat7<pass>

My SSL connector from server.xml:

<Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol" port="7443" SSLEnabled="true"
               clientAuth="want" sslProtocol="TLS" keystoreFile=".\conf\ssl\dev11.jks"
               truststoreFile=".\conf\ssl\dev11.jks" />

Do I have the right syntax for the command line?  I have tried single and double quotes around
the password, and it does not fix the issue.  I noted in the log file that the quotation marks
are always removed when the tomcat executable (or Java) reads the directive.

Is there another way to do this from the command line?  Can I somehow pass the keystorePass
parameter directly?

Thank you,

Jeffrey Harris

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein
and may contain proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
or believe that you received this email in error, please take immediate action to notify the
sender of the apparent error by reply e-mail; permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments
from your computer; and do not disseminate, distribute, use, or copy this message and any

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message