tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - RDSA IT <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: Build vs. buy (Was: [Seriously OT] Help in diagnosing server unresponsiveness)
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:18:29 GMT

or because nobody understands how it works is entirely wasted effort.

>- -chris

And, not to mention the technology an application uses eventually reaches EOL, then what?
 It's easier to keep it limping along until the point at which someone decides it's worth
spending money to update it.

It has been my observation that the trend where I work is buy and try to configure or enhance
the product to make it do something it didn't do before, because I believe some people think
building solutions are too complex or too costly.

Buying and maintaining in my opinion is harder when the vendor product changes.  You end up
building additional  complex functionality around a product that did not do 100% of what you
wanted when you bought it, now the vendor changes something and you're faced with nearly redoing
everything you did before to keep maintenance on the current vendor product version.