tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Zippy Zeppoli <>
Subject problem with context.xml for parallel deployments
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 19:17:25 GMT
I've been testing out parallel deployments
in my tomcat cluster. It seems to work really well if I futz around
with naming the filenames.

Here's what works:
1) cp /artifacts/someapp##001.war /tmp/war-listener
--- app gets deployed to the farm by farmdeployer successfully
2) cp /artifacts/someapp##002.war /tmp/war-listener
--- someapp##002.war gets deployed, new sessions are migrated over to
this version of the application, context path remains the same for
--- someapp##001.war still receives connections, but is undeployed
(manually set in server.xml) as sessions expire
--- eventually someapp##002.war is the only app serving requests and deployed

All good. However, I was trying to use context.xml to define the
version, but this fails, the cluster just hangs and never deploys the

Here was an example of a META-INF/context.xml I was using:
<Context name="myapp##1.3.5">

What was I doing wrong with this method?
Is it a best practice to version just using the filename, both?

Thanks for any insights, the documentation doesn't seem to explain
this very well and there isn't a resource on the web that goes over
this in detail.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message