tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Severe Errrors encountered in Tomcat when running a Struts2 project...
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 10:12:13 GMT
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<> wrote:
>> From: Howard W. Smith, Jr. []
>> Subject: Re: Severe Errrors encountered in Tomcat when running a Struts2 project...
>> Chuck, if you look at Tripti's details above (in OP), it seems as
>> though Tripti desires to run 64-bit veresion of tomcat7.0.35 on 64-bit
>> JVM.
> Nowhere does the OP indicate the mode of the JVM.  There are numerous valid reasons for
running a 32-bit JVM on a 64-bit OS.
>> It seems as though Tripti needs to 'update' JAVA_HOME etc...?
> Not likely.  He may want to install a 64-bit JVM, if that's what is desired.  But unless
a large heap size is necessary to run the expected applications, a 64-bit JVM will be marginally
slower than a 32-bit one.
>> Excuse me as I am a bit of a perfectionist, but Windows provides
>> "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder on 64-bit operating system. The
>> "C:\Program Files" is the best/appropriate place to install 64-bit
>> software.
> If the .exe installer is used, it selects the appropriate location based on the JVM it
finds; if the .zip file is used, it's probably best not to muck with C:\Program Files at all.
 Note that even the 64-bit .zip file of Tomcat contains both 32- and 64-bit executables in
the bin directory.  Tomcat proper, of course, is completely independent of JVM mode; only
the tcnative-1.dll and the service wrapper must have the same mode as the JVM used.
>> Since OP states 64-bit 'so much'
> Twice is "so much"?
>> it is best for you to update or add JAVA_HOME (and I think JRE_HOME)
>> in your System Environment variables of My Computer or System properties.
> Ignored if running as a service; when running via the scripts, one or the other (not
both) should be set to point to the desired JVM.  Best to set this in a setenv.bat script
in Tomcat's bin directory, not in the global environment variables.
>  - Chuck

Nice response and agreed/understood on all accounts. Yes, twice is 'so
much' to me. :)