tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edson Richter <edsonrich...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Help in diagnosing server unresponsiveness
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 00:19:23 GMT
Em 01/02/2013 21:57, Howard W. Smith, Jr. escreveu:
>>> Okay, well,  I'm using JPA to access JTA managed datasource (Apache
>>> Derby), and I really don't think I have any JDBC resource management
>>> issues.
>>
>> Have you look into your JPA graph and check if you are not loading
>> millions of objects in memory?
>> While JPA is loading data from database, you will experience
>> "unresponsiveness" as you said.
>> I do use PostgresSQL (that has superb performance, IMHO), and to discover
>> the bloated references, I just had to set log to record all queries sent by
>> the application.
>>
> Well, Zoran reported unresponsiveness in the OP. :)

Sorry, I mixed up things in my head... I'll pay more attention.

> I am quite pleased with the responsiveness of my app... using
> EclipseLink and Derby.
Good.

> What is the best way to look into the JPA? via JMX?

In development, I do use NetBeans with Profiler (memory or cpu profile
are good start point). In test environment I do use JRockit Mission
Control remote monitoring. I do not use any of these in production.
Probably would be possible to monitor using JMX (via JMX Proxy Servlet
in Tomcat?)

There is one interesting blog entry here:
http://blog.vennster.nl/2012/09/managing-eclipselink-using-jmx.html
But I never tried that, just had in my favorits "just in case".

Regards,

Edson