tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Severe Errrors encountered in Tomcat when running a Struts2 project...
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 07:16:14 GMT
> From: Howard W. Smith, Jr. [mailto:smithh032772@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Severe Errrors encountered in Tomcat when running a Struts2 project...

> Chuck, if you look at Tripti's details above (in OP), it seems as
> though Tripti desires to run 64-bit veresion of tomcat7.0.35 on 64-bit
> JVM.

Nowhere does the OP indicate the mode of the JVM.  There are numerous valid reasons for running
a 32-bit JVM on a 64-bit OS.

> It seems as though Tripti needs to 'update' JAVA_HOME etc...?

Not likely.  He may want to install a 64-bit JVM, if that's what is desired.  But unless a
large heap size is necessary to run the expected applications, a 64-bit JVM will be marginally
slower than a 32-bit one.

> Excuse me as I am a bit of a perfectionist, but Windows provides
> "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder on 64-bit operating system. The
> "C:\Program Files" is the best/appropriate place to install 64-bit
> software.

If the .exe installer is used, it selects the appropriate location based on the JVM it finds;
if the .zip file is used, it's probably best not to muck with C:\Program Files at all.  Note
that even the 64-bit .zip file of Tomcat contains both 32- and 64-bit executables in the bin
directory.  Tomcat proper, of course, is completely independent of JVM mode; only the tcnative-1.dll
and the service wrapper must have the same mode as the JVM used.

> Since OP states 64-bit 'so much'

Twice is "so much"?

> it is best for you to update or add JAVA_HOME (and I think JRE_HOME)
> in your System Environment variables of My Computer or System properties.

Ignored if running as a service; when running via the scripts, one or the other (not both)
should be set to point to the desired JVM.  Best to set this in a setenv.bat script in Tomcat's
bin directory, not in the global environment variables.

 - Chuck