tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Karolis Monkus" <>
Subject Re: can't start tomcat on port 80
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:05:43 GMT
Thanks for quick answer. Nothing running on 80 port, selinux and firewall
disabled, so no need for writing iptables rules.
What do you mean by saying i need support from Fedora? What kind of support?
Would everything be easier if i just download newest tomcat tar archive and
manually install/run it?

Karolis M.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:45 PM
Subject: RE: can't start tomcat on port 80

> From: Karolis Monkus []
> Subject: can't start tomcat on port 80

> I use fedora 17 and from yum downloaded tomcat-7.0.33 version.

You may need support from Fedora, since repackaged versions of Tomcat do not
always behave the way real ones do.

> I changed port from 8080 to 80 in server.xml, restarted tomcat and
> got the following error in catalina.out file:

> SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler
> ["http-bio-80"]

Check if anything else is using port 80 with netstat.

> I'm logged in to fedora with root user. Any help would be appreciated.

You might not be running Tomcat as root (which is good - you shouldn't),
since the 3rd-party repackaged versions often fiddle with the start/stop
scripts.  Since you're not using a real Tomcat, the FAQ entry for this topic
may need adjustment, but it should help:

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: