tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Janner <Jeffrey.Jan...@PolyDyne.com>
Subject RE: [Seriously OT] Help in diagnosing server unresponsiveness
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 15:26:56 GMT

Chris, I'd like to differ with you on this last point.
As someone who's been a developer, support person, and admin, I've got a pretty good perspective
on this subject.
While servers may be cheap, they will never be cheap enough to overcome poor programming practices.
I've worked with systems so poorly designed that we couldn't purchase a system big enough
to run the software adequately, once you got above a handful of users. Yes, it's gotten to
the point where systems are much cheaper than they used to be, while developer salaries are
only increasing (supposedly), so wasting time on some minor performance improvement may not
be cost-effective. However, when you aggregate the time that hundreds of users spend waiting
on a response from a poorly designed, unresponsive system, I think you'll find that it trumps
the cost of having the developer spending a few extra minutes to "get it right the first time".