tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problem with log level in tomcat.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:29:37 GMT
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2013/2/28 Vihari Piratla <viharipiratla@gmail.com>:
>> I am trying to set the logging level of a webapp deployed on tomcat.
>> Here is the logging.properties file ...
>> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINEST
>> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
>> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = catalina.
>>
>> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINEST
>> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
>> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = localhost.
>>
>> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST
>> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter =
>> java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].level = FINEST
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].handlers =
>> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
>>
>> but I cant see the debug or fine logs in catalina.out.
>> What am I missing?
>> Thank you.
>
> 1. Which "logging.properties" file it is?  The global one, or
> webapp-specific one? Is above a fragment, or a whole file?
>
> 2. "catalina.out" is not a proper log file,  as explained in documentation
>
> 3. You configure options for "ConsoleHandler" and "1catalina..
> FileHandler" handlers,
> but you do not create them (a list of handlers is empty) and no log
> categories are configured to send their log events to them.
>
> The only log category that is properly configured,
> "org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]"  uses
> "2localhost....FileHandler".

Konstantin,
(and I fear that this is going to raise hackles again, but I think it needs to be said)
the truth of the matter is that the logging setup in Tomcat is obscure, cryptic, and in
any case beyond the comprehension of 90% at least of the Tomcat users at large.
I am willing to take a bet that 90% or more of the Tomcat installations worldwide just
leave it alone as it comes, for fear of breaking it, and just "fix" it with scripts
outside of Tomcat.
So, it is really no wonder that a user would be puzzled as to how this stuff works and how

to simply get a logfile out of his app.
Or how to simply get Tomcat to write /one/ logfile somewhere, with no daily rotation, with

everything in it, and just have it rotated as need by an outside logrotate, as is done for

99% of daemon programs under Unix/Linux.