tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 doesn't start on Windows
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 03:11:27 GMT
On 2/26/2013 6:04 AM, Rune Stilling wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I have been trying to get this to work by looking a lot on similar situations around
the net but nothing works. My setup is as follows:

> * Tomcat 7.0.37 installed via the Windows service installer package
> * Windows 2003 server
> * Java/JRE 1.7.0_15
> * Using C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll
>
> So the problem is that the Tomcat7 service won't start from the service control panel.
I just get a "Could not start …" and "Error 1053: The service did not respond …".

> There's nothing in the Tomcat logs (both stdout and stderr are empty). The event logs
shows a generic service control manager error.

> But - If I start the service from the command line by typing "tomcat7 //TS/Tomcat7" the
thing works fine.

> Also if I change the service user account to the "Administrator" account I get a different
error by startup "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

> Any ideas?
>
> /Rune

Hi, Rune-

I ran into something similar a while back on, I believe, Server 2008 R2.
I ended up uninstalling Tomcat and all JVMs, manually removing all
traces of the JVMs from the registry, and then re-installing a single
JVM followed by Tomcat.

-Terence Bandoian